While things are slooooow before Korea (where they won't be streaming -- boo hoo) and before Album 3, I was asked what were MY top 10 favorite Adam performances of all time, and why. How to pick just 10? I am working on it and thought I would throw the topic open to all AToppers.
In the meantime, several years back I was asked to create a top 10 beginner's guide to Adam Lambert. These are not necessarily all my favorites, but they show Adam's versatility and ability. atop.proboards.com/post/4000/thread Thanks to 4Ms for archiving the list!
So, here is my top 10 list as of today. Tomorrow it could be different! This is not necessarily the top 10 best performances Adam has done. These are MY favorites, and, as you can tell, I tend to love Adam singing ballads. I can hear that gorgeous voice more clearly and purely. They are not necessarily in order until you get to the top two, which have been my all time favorites since I first heard him perform them.
NOTE: Too many YTs on a page makes the page load very slowly and can freeze some computers and cell phones. Therefore, for most I am posting the link with the "y" of "youtube" omitted. Copy the link, add a "y" and it should go to the appropriate YT.
10. Trespassing at the London Showcase:
Why does it make my list? It's Adam's current mission statement. It's funky. It's sexy. Yes, he has performed it with the full band and dancers and singers, even with confetti, but, I like the stripped back version that depends on Adam selling it with his voice and his personality. Vocally, it has range, power, and a little grit. It uses a different staccato style of singing.
9. Dust In The Wind: www.outube.com/watch?v=-xxA81F278Y Why? Baby Adam. Just 25 years old here, but the voice is already so well developed and controlled. Has his signature long lyrical lines: "just a drop of water in the endless sea" and "ohhhhhhhhhhh" for 15 seconds. Most of the song is sung with what I like to call his "plain" voice. Light, easy, no grit, no twang, no edge to it. That is my favorite sound that he produces.
8. Shady: Hard to pick a version. This one with the banana cracks me up. outu.be/q9Ltjf-xXs8?t=2m42s I like the almost Bob Fosse-esque movements during this part of the show in Japan. And, Adam sure does like the fringe on a costume. www.outube.com/watch?v=4zYLVP86Gxc is super funky, and Adam is loose, free, boogie-ing down to the beat. What is remarkable is he is outside in absolutely fierce heat, yet gives it 110%. And the outfit? Spiked shorts and combat boots? Makes me laugh. Sexy and dorky at the same time. Shady is one of my favorites from the Trespassing album. I like his funky vocal style, too.
7. Feeling Good: www.outube.com/watch?v=RjqmNOxsvCc Why? Let me count the ways. Love the song choice and arrangement. The vocals are impeccable. The sustained D5 starting with a straight tone, then adding vibrato, then moving down the scale, to a tender "good". Yummy! The staging and costume were genius. Totally Vegas. The strut down the stairs foreshadowed Adam's ability to be a total Queen and make it work. (It was the moment I said to myself, "Yup, gay.")
6. Stay/Underneath: www.outube.com/watch?v=oJR4K9SwlzY Why? Stripped back so Adam's voice is showcased. That pure, "plain" voice in a lower register. No showboating, no grandiose riffs, just damned fine singing. Very emotional, touching, convincing. He is such a great interpreter of music.
5. I Can't Make You Love Me: www.outube.com/watch?v=vYKaIWWeulI Why? Another early recording that showcases his voice and his wonderful interpretive ability. He makes so much more out of this song than anyone else. Heartbreaking. The last "I can't maaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkee you- gasp - love me" is vocally brilliant and emotionally gut wrenching.
4. Outlaws of Love: My favorite is probably also from the London Showcase. Why? One of the most wrenching songs he has written. Very different from his usual upbeat offerings. I like how he sings "rot in hell" in his head voice until the last time, where he defiantly powers it out in full voice.
3. Someone to Love 2014: www.outube.com/watch?v=zluRcrAp5cQ This version has the 16 second sustained note. Why? A wonderful showcase for Adam as a performer. Vocally, it is challenging in range, power and breath support. plus he articulates the words so clearly. Dramatically, Adam acts out the words wonderfully. It's glamrock church, brothers and sisters! It has a sing along. It ends with a virtuoso high note in pure, echoing head voice followed by Adam humorously milking the audience for more applause. The final comic touch is striking the classic opera diva pose before singing the final run. It's got a bit of everything.
2. WWTLF: London Day 3 is still my favorite version, because I love the sustained high D5. Yes, he does it at iHeart, but the version is abbreviated, and is missing a verse. I want it ALL. www.outube.com/watch?v=NVmo7QUoG2Q Why? Do you need to ask? Beautifully, classically sung. A rock opera aria. Packs an emotional wallop, too. The version he did at the end of the NA tour was gorgeous in its own way. His voice is even richer than two years ago. I like the tenderness he sings with at the beginning, allowing more room to build thruout the song. Touching the light beam is genius. He is so dramatic. Miss the glory note, but it is probably a wise decision not to go for it when he has so many shows to do in a short time. www.outube.com/watch?v=Una6uVHG3UE
1. Come To Me Bend To Me: www.outube.com/watch?v=DJYyqzUr6jU Simply the most beautiful version of this song I have ever heard, and I have heard a lot of them. The most beautiful light tenor voice I have EVER heard in my life. And this was TEN years ago. His voice is richer now than it was back then. It would sound even more perfect if he were to sing it today, but I am content to listen to this daily for the rest of my life. If it was the last thing I heard before I died, I would die happy.
Thank you Cassie I always enjoy hearing your impression of any of Adams performances. I have no knowledge of proper singing or hear things that you or other Atopers hear that are knowledgeable about singing. All I know is that I have fallen in love with Adam's voice and his admirable character and I find it so hard to listen to anyone else, except for a few favorite singers from the past. Anyone out there today just pales in comparison.
cassie, so many of your top ten are mine also, so I don't want to overload by reposting.
But here is one that would also be in my top ten:
and another from Upright Cabaret:
and I was looking for the Crazy performance where the Broadway singers tossed their shows onstage (my personal favorite Crazy performance) and stumbled on this one, which I had never seen:
Seriously considered Soaked for my list as well. Come Home is on my "Best of Adam Lambert" list on my iPod. Did you find the shoe throwing version? I liked that tribute. This version I had not seen before. What a baby face!!! Hardly looks over 18, does he?
Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.
a drive by, so no thinking involved at the moment and in no particular order:
OOL from st. Agathe is THE BEST OOL EVER!
WLL from Fantasy Springs1 - the sexiest MF he has ever mustered! Totally orgasmic!
Is THis Love from Sydney - the very first time - the most charming performance ever!
By The Rules - I LOVE THIS SONG! MY FAVORITE FROM TP! It is so sad there are no live performances....
ROF -Idol, life changing moment for me and so many of us here!
Feeling Good on Idol was awesome!
Soaked -pretty much every performance, can't pick any ... need to think...
Broken Open - the album version
The WHOLE OF Rock My Town concert - KILLED ME DED....
TSMGO - probably the EMA short version
WWTLFE -London2, but no sure....need to think on this one as well...too consistent to pick one...
have to agree with Brigadoon and Crazy from Upright... also the little recording of My Conviction from HAIR is a real gem and a superb demonstration of his ability to mix all kinds of styles and totally fuck with the audience's mind!
actually Cassie - if you could analyze that one for styles, tricks and what ever else he used there - would be so awesome!
ETA: How could I forget Heaven On Their Minds! I used to listen to it like every day for two years I think...
Now, you have good timing with this as I've been debating for two weeks what songs to send to an interested acquaintance.
On the other hand, you're making me think of changing my list and continue the internal debate - and it's not good to keep her waiting.
Soaked and Come Home are there, for me. She likes classical music, AI and rap (!!??!!) - but luckily I know she plays piano, is able to modify the keys and play favourites off the cuff. She also appreciates live performances of various styles, the energy and the feeling. But I don't know how much she's prepared to listen and a representative short list is so difficult to make.
My current list of 10: Note: Too many YTs on one page causes some computers and smart phones to load slowly or freeze up. Therefore, I have deleted the "y" from "youtube" in the link address. Copy and paste the link, add the "Y" and it should work fine.
I don't have a top 10 but my favorite "Crazy" performance is the lyric fail one because he turns a fuck up into awesomeness. This is the performance that got the shoe inundation and it was because of how he turned a screw up into something incredible. Tracy Toms was one of the one throwing shoes.
Thanks Cassie for doing this. I think I might be spending a lot of time here! I've always loved that "Is This Love" video that Nica575 posted. I love the way he introduces it, the way he sings it and the way he feels it. It always makes me smile.
lorraine: Thank you,petrajo, I hope Adam can know how much he is truly loved and cared about by people all over the world, including you ! XO
Dec 21, 2017 0:17:50 GMT -5
mszue: IMPORTANT NOTICE for atoppers going to Vegas Sept 14...Please go to the private member's QAL Vegas meet-up thread for meet-up information and to "sign up" IT'S COMING, IT'S COMING.....YEAH
Jun 23, 2018 16:21:59 GMT -5
phronni7: For person looking for that particular version of
Aug 7, 2018 21:28:34 GMT -5
phronni7: For the person on page one of today’s thread wanting to know which version of “Runnin’ medley, I am pretty sure it is Gasometer ( Vienna) 2016. It is definitely my favorite version. Wish I knew how to bring it over.
Aug 7, 2018 21:32:06 GMT -5
phronni7: FIRST CRUSH: Andy Gibb—oh, that poster with him in a white suit, almost all the way buttoned shirt, I think necklace, beautiful health hair and white, white teeth ( maybe that’s why I liked Adam in the white shirt where the comment were all over the plae
Aug 11, 2018 18:48:47 GMT -5
irish1139: bamafan, let me know if you got a message from me. Yes, Iwant the calendar. I will do anything to get it.
Nov 29, 2018 17:11:01 GMT -5
irish1139: Bamafan, I have it. And I want to kiss those lips. I can't wait to see you in Florida, I hope. Thanks for all you have done for me.
Dec 5, 2018 19:53:18 GMT -5
irish1139: Bamafan, I hope to see you in Florida. Thanks for everything. I have to get a new computer. This one is 15 years old and doesn't work well. I hope no one has read the stuff I have typed today. It is nutty.
Dec 5, 2018 19:54:42 GMT -5
bamafan: Irish.....Just happened to look down here....I never do. lol. So glad you got it! Not going down to Florida this time, but hope you can go to a QAL show in Tampa or Sunrise.
Dec 5, 2018 23:52:25 GMT -5
nannygoat: Just heard this parody of Bohemian Rhapsody. Thought everyone would enjoy it. Amazes me how people can be so creative. ow.ly/p9ZH30niDPS and did I mention how much I am enjoying all the 'goodies' we got lately? "Feel Something" is gorgeous.
Mar 10, 2019 17:28:10 GMT -5
suzysuzy79: Never done this before-- can you tell? I want to learn how to chat with you exceptional ladies that I've followed and been thrilled by, since 2014. Somebody teach me how to talk with y'all, please. Thanks for help.
May 22, 2019 14:12:12 GMT -5
cassie: No one reads the shoutbox regularly. To chat with us, type in the QUICK REPLY box above the shoutbox. Or to reply to a specific post, click on QUOTE in the right top corner of the post and start typing your reply. Welcome! Join in.
May 23, 2019 0:49:47 GMT -5
atomom: Adam's artistry is in full display: the surprise of hiccuppy gasps right before "new eyes", the sensuous tongue, one-two punch of "damn" smile, head thrown back, body drops to heavy guitar beats, a lusciously looking Adam--all make NE a visual/aural feast.
May 26, 2019 15:08:34 GMT -5
Q3: ladyregent: The Shoutbox is really for announcement -- if you want to discuss Adam, go to the Daily News Thread for today. You will be able to post there.
Jun 20, 2019 23:22:56 GMT -5