Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples
Bet Chick-fil-A wishes this month would end. Over the past few weeks, the restaurant chain's deep ties to the anti-gay movement have been exposed and uncovered by a number of activists, most notably Jeremy Hooper at Good As You. Whether it's Focus on the Family, the National Organization for Marriage, the Pennsylvania Family Institute, or Exodus International, Chick-fil-A ties run deep.
I am reposting this from the daily news thread for convenience of location and in the hopes of reaching a target niche of members! :-) I know there are a few of us that have an academic interest in fandom, identity, authenticity, etc so I thought I would post this call. If anyone particular is interested dm me. Some ideas of the top of my head may be a semi ethnographic look at: Similarities/differences in Adam fan groups vs other musicians Similarities/differences between Adamtopia and other Adam sites Using Adam fans as examples of typical fan sites Comparing Adam and Gaga on issues of identity and authenticity General discussions of identity and authenticity in contemporary/pop/rock/country musicians Gender in pop music... Gender in fandom The list is endless....if anyone is completely uninterested or this is so OTT as to deserve deleting...scroll or delete as the case may be
CFP - POPULAR MUSIC FANDOM, special issue of Popular Music and Society<http://pop-music-research.blogspot.com/2011/06/cfp-popular-music-fandom-special-issue_11.html> Guest editor, Mark Duffett
Popular Music and Society invites article proposals for a new special issue. Fandom is both a personal expression of emotional conviction and a complex, changing, multi-faceted social phenomenon that now encompasses both online and offline activity.
The study of fandom is a scholarly niche that exists at the intersection of a wide range of interests and connections. It can be contextualized by wider media research (theory by scholars such as Henry Jenkins and Matt Hills; reception analysis; celebrity studies; ethnography; subcultural theory) and by direct research into popular music culture (ethnomusicology; research on listening; live music audiences; studies of music in everyday life).
We invite papers with themes that may include, but are not limited to:
· Fans as musicians / musicians as fans
· The consumer marketplace, perceptions of the music industry
· Collecting, listening, and other fan practices
· Live music, local scenes, and fandom as living culture
· Stereotyping, self-awareness, media representation, lit and fiction
· Fandom and social identities (such as gender, age, disability, race)
· Methodology, research practice, cultural theory
· Histories, critiques of fandom as a response to mass culture
· Taste, cultural capital, and the canon
· Online participatory cultures
· Case studies and ethnographies; personal narratives, memories, and investments
· Stardom and celebrity; identification, reading, and textuality
· Legacies of key representations (e.g., Fred Vermorel and Judy Vermorel's book Starlust)
· Modernity, religion, pathology, and the "cult" analogy
· Differing fandoms / specific music genres
· The fan community: insiders, outsiders, and the "ordinary" audience
· Fan culture and the paradigm of performance
· The uses of fandom: political activism, heritage, and tourism
· Fandom, the family, and / or the life cycle
Send proposals of up to 500 words in the first instance.
Contributions will be peer-reviewed for potential inclusion in the main section of the journal. Polemical papers will also be considered for inclusion in the Forum section. Indicate the name under which you would wish to be published, your professional/academic affiliations, a postal address, and preferred email contact.
Deadline for submission of proposals is October 31, 2011. We would hope to commission articles by December 31, 2011, and deadline for submission of the articles will be July 31, 2012.
Please email proposals to guest editor Mark Duffett at email@example.com.
"In the response of the audience, that is where the power of performance lives".
I'm not very proud of my self for not paying attention to same sex marriage laws before Adam. The fucking NY politicians still have not voted on the issue. The session was supposed to have ended on Monday and they're still at it. If they decide not to bring it up for a vote, they can't bring it up for a vote again until next year.
I just looked up the rights that gay couples are denied without the benefit of marriage. Supposedly there are 1138 of them! You guys might have already known a lot of them, but here's a partial list.
Me again. Supposedly the Senate worked out the language to protect religious groups from discrimination law suits. They should vote on it later tonight. Keeps fingers crossed and sending positive thoughts out to the universe.
Jamie posted the following (one of my favorite letters of all time):
I'm sure most of you have seen this before but it fits today's discussion.
Dr. Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative.........
Dear Dr. Laura
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.
1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don.t agree. Can you settle this?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn.t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
By virtue of the implied GB I suggest this post is not OT
Very sexualized commercial and a sign that young models are getting younger by the day, and that sexualization of male infants is OK!. ....in the call for gender equality I suppose, there are some who would argue it is good....but seriously. I suppose i am just humor-bereft or something but really!!!!....hahaha....bit much...
irish1139: [br]"Someday, the light will shine like a sun through my skin & they will say, What have you done with your life? & though there are many moments I think I will remember, in the end, I will be proud to say, I was one of us."
Nov 5, 2016 15:14:38 GMT -5
barnowl: Happy thanksgiving to all at atop im very thankful and grateful for this little haven and all the lovely people here
Nov 24, 2016 19:11:16 GMT -5
kayleedave: Hello everyone.
Dec 2, 2016 7:42:40 GMT -5
barnowl: Sophie, I'm building up the courage to post on main thread,I've followed Adam since Idol and been a visitor since planet fierce ,everyday I 'm here, I'm from the U.K.
Dec 6, 2016 19:32:26 GMT -5
SophieB: Barnowl....I'm in the UK too! Took me 2 yrs to post! lol. Natives are friendly here on Atop....so many different nationalities. Just make a post saying how you got to know Adam (we love reading the different intros to him) and you are up and running. X
Dec 7, 2016 11:38:34 GMT -5
LindaG23: So kayleedave, barnowl found her way to the Daily News thread why don't you give it a try. There's nothing we like more than welcoming new posters!
Dec 8, 2016 17:58:31 GMT -5
irish1139: How can we get Isaiah on Spotify in the USA? Anything we can do?
Dec 8, 2016 19:01:33 GMT -5
wal: New link: https://www.periscope.tv/itsSelman/1djGXZgZBXRxZ
Dec 10, 2016 16:13:15 GMT -5
melliemom: I'm hoping that Adam ,besides working on album 4 ,will be slated for a Hollywood movie and some work with model agency MILK.. IMHO there may be a few shows with Queen,but not many.Just guesses all the way around.
Dec 12, 2016 8:34:11 GMT -5
lorraine: Thank you Betty for the beautiful cakes. Those cherries on top---simply scrumptious---I'm salivating. One of the reasons my day will be extra lovely today is because people like you are in the world.
Jan 17, 2017 6:32:18 GMT -5